Friday, April 3, 2009

Kids and Summer Classes

When I was a kid, every evening and every holiday was spent in the company of 20-some neighbourhood kids on the road. We would be the notorious gang every household was afraid of. We would play cricket on the street and break several glasses, fight over lagori, eat ice-gola and what not!!!

How the days have changed - today, my Son does not have any kid in the neighbourhood to playing with - during school days as well as holidays. He spends his time either being naughty or watching the idiot box. I am concerned. But choice do I have? There are absolutely no kids his age ... even if there are few who are 1-2 years his juniors, their parents just don't allow these kids to play on the road. They rather prefer the kids to stay indoor but not mingle with other kids in the neighbourhood.

Being a working mother, this has become a difficult situation for me to handle. After 1 year of attending school, I have to put him in yet another school for summer classes. Seems like his childhood will be spent in one or the other school. Once he grows up, I am sure his childhood memories will be filled with only this.

I am greatly saddened to see the state of our society and the plight of our kids!!!

2 comments:

  1. alwa? really sad... everytime there is a power cut, I remember the days when we all used to scream and come out of the house to play ice-pice (I-spy), laggori, gilli dandu etc, sad that the kids now have to satisfy themselves either sitting in front of the idiot box or the computers :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true.How we would wait to come from school, drop the bags, change and run out of the house lending a deaf ear to Amma's cry tp eat something. And now, I see all my cousins glued to the TV or the Computer n what we used to play on our own, the games on the comp reflect it for them. Love ur insightful posts :)

    ReplyDelete