Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Gift

As was routine summer-time activity, I had planned to prepare sandige. This time I was trying out the chakli sandige - my maiden effort. I had taken guidance from someone on preparing the batter and had followed instructions accordingly. However, post lunch, when I sat down to make the chaklis, I realized that the dough was too hard.

I had to put lot of effort to press the chaklis on to the paper mat. My son, Aakash, who was "helping" me saw my efforts and said "Amma, you should not work so hard. It's a waste".

Amidst all the hardship I was facing, I could not relate his statement. I looked at him and asked "Why are you saying this?".

He said "Amma, you should not work so hard because nobody pays you for all your hardwork at home". I was stunned. To hear this from a 5 year old was amazing. I responded "Yes, I know nobody will pay me for this. But then, I also know how much you and Aditi will enjoy eating these sandiges once they are ready. I work hard so you guys get to eat tasty things".

Immediately he came running and hugged me and said "Thank you amma for making all these things for us". I felt sooooooooooo gooooooood. It was a perfect Mother's Day gift any mother would get :)

Thank you very much, Aakash

3 comments:

  1. First time here; lovely post.
    What else would u need than these sweet li'l things from a loved one. Belated wishes for Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete