Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Matru Devo Bhava

My neighbour’s mother was a 92 years old lady, highly diabetic. She would not sleep without eating a TBSP of sugar every night despite her diabetic state.


2 months ago, her feet had started to rot and hence it was amputated. Owing to the age factor, She was in the ICU. Doctors had really thought she was not going to make it. But in a month’s time she started showing remarkable recovery symptoms.
One evening, while the old lady was still in ICU, I was talking to my neighbour’s wife. She said “Ayyo, we have not gone to the hospital at all. At home, myself, my DIL, my grandson – all of us have fever and have not been able to visit the old lady”
I was actually shocked to hear that she had not gone to the ICU to check on her MIL. I was also wondering what kind of a talk was she walking herself. She already has a DIL. If she does not take care of her MIL, would her DIL take care of her when she becomes old and bed-ridden?
And then, we complain that daughers-in-law don’t care for mothers-in-law. Who sets this example?

No comments:

Post a Comment