Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Amma Ninna Tolinalli Kanda Naanu

As far as I can remember, my mother has always been there for me. She has always stood tall and strong and has supported me in all my endeavors and (mis)adventures. She has saved me from my dad’s beatings several times and has allowed me to be my own self doing my own things. She is the reason why I am so independent, successful, well educated person today.


She never hesitated to accept her Iyengar son-in-law, when I announced my decision to marry him. She never let me lose my courage when I lost job owing to recession and took to learning stained glass wanting to start my own business (which never took off, incidentally)

Though, when I look back, I see she was a wee bit partial to my brother, she has always been there for me. I could always look for that support, understanding and guidance in the years of experience and wisdom she has.

So, yesterday, when she called me to say that she had severe pain in the lower back and was unable to get up, I could not believe what I was hearing.

To me, she is still young. I have failed to realize as I have grown up, she has grown older. Her bones are not as strong as they used to be. Her shoulders have become frail carrying the luggage of all these years. My eyes grew moist. I took half day off from office to take her to the ortho.

Luckily it was just a muscle sprain and nothing else. But this incident was an eye opener. It felt as if I was close to losing her forever and the pain I went through was excruciating.

She knows that how much ever I have grown up, I am still a kid in her eyes. She still wants to protect and safeguard me against this cruel world….

I shudder to think what will happen when she is not with me anymore….

2 comments:

  1. I hope your mom's alright now Vidya!
    You're so correct..we feel our parents never grow old and will always be around us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that your mom is doing well and it wasn't anything major.

    ReplyDelete