Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Innocent Musings

S P Balasubramanyam, the veteran playback singer who has sung in several languages, has released an album of prayers for the kids. It is titled “Chants for Children”.
I really liked the idea as this album contains simple shlokas with SPB as the lead singer and kids joining the chorus. This album has shlokas such as Agajanana padmarkam, gurur brahma gurur vishnu, namastestu mahamaye, shuklambaradharam, etc.
So happy was I to hear this album, I decided to download this from Nokia’s Music Store onto my cell phone. After successfully downloading few chants, I decided to play them during bed time – instead of the usual story time.
When the 2nd chant was playing, my son asked: - “Amma, are these children very poor?”
I answered (ears allover) “No, why”
Pat came the response “Then, why are they singing like this?”
Actually the chorus in these chants comes across very amateurish – more like street kids singing for money.
I could not help laughing at his observations.

1 comment: