Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day

My father quit his banking job to open a restuarant. When he was in Bank, he had set time. He would leave home 8 a.m. in the morning and return by 6 p.m. However, with the change in occupation, demands on his time rose. He started leaving home by 6 a.m. and return by 10 p.m.

I had so many complaints on him. He did not come to school to pay my fees - made me pay my own fees even when I was in 2nd standard. He never asked me how school was, what I was doing at school, what were my grades, what i need to study, what should i do and what i should not do.

The only time he actually intervened was when i had to decide on what college i wanted to study after completing 10th. His choice was one close to our restaurant and i loathed that college. And the fact that i had to study in that college eventually, increased my resentment towards him.

My list of complaints just got lengthier......

But yesterday, on Father's day, I was out attending the Landmark Forum. The coach of the forum was talking about our relationships with our parents. One statement he made touched a chord and opened a whole new world of possibilities.
"Your parents did what they did for you. And to the best of their abilities. How much have you acknowledged that?"

Tears started flowing down my cheeks. I had never never thought from this angle. His working hard was to provide food, clothes and shelter to us. How could a simple thing like this not enter my head all these years?

Nonetheless, I consoled myself "Better late than never". I called up my dad from my cell. I told him:

"Annu, all these years you have worked so hard and done so much for us. You made sure we are educated, we went to college and earned masters degree, you are so proud to see us now, successful in our jobs... and yet, we never have thanked you enough. I want to acknowledge you for everything you have done for me till now. You are a very good father and I am proud of you."

5 comments:

  1. So sweet of u Vidya. Wish ur dad a happy father's day from my side too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch, girls.

    @Swaram, BTW Rahul Dravid attended the Landmark Forum too... First time I was in the same room with a celebrity. Ofcourse, there were another 320 people in the same room with Rahul and me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! My first crush. Khaash I cud be there :P

    As for meeting celebrities, I had been to a Sa Re Ga Ma recording and met so many legends including O.P.Nayyar. I took their autographs and preserved it like some treasure for so long. Wonder where it is now though :P

    Wonderfully written adhre. 320 ppl with Rahul n Me. I luved that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to learn that your views about your father changed for good and that you thanked your father for whatever he did for you :-)

    ReplyDelete