Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mother's Letter to her son

Dear Aakash,

You may think I have lost my nut to be writing a letter to you at a time when I can easily talk to you. But then, you need to understand that you are just 6.5 years old and are at an age when you don't necessarily understand my language - language of a mother.

I am a working mother - working to share the financial burden of running our family along with your father. Together, we both work very hard - to be able to provide good food, clothing, shelter and education to both you and your sister. And I realize that at your age, you are still too young to understand how much we slog to earn whatever we earn.

Monday, you woke up early, switched on TV and kept on watching it for 1 hour without brushing your teeth. Despite repeated reminders from me - you were sitting in front of the idiot box watching without batting your eyelids. All my requests went on to your deaf ears. Eventually, I had to shout at you in order to get you ready in time to catch your school bus. How many days do you think we can take a detoure to drop you to your school before we go to office?

With lot of pain, I had prepared sandwich and it pained me to see you had not eaten at all.

Tuesday, you started the day crying - for no reason. May be you woke up grouchy...but then it is not my fault. You cried because bournvita was not hot enough, you cried to brush your teeth, you cried to take bath... how many tears do you want to shed before realizing things don't work this way in the real world?
Aloo Tikkis I had made, came back as I had packed them. Why at all should i take extra time to steam good old vegetables and convert them into a tasty snack for you?

Evening you created a tantrum to take your medicine. You were so playful that you spilled the medicine. Your appa got so angry, he whacked you. And you went to bed crying. Will you ever know the heart ache and sadness your appa and I went through after this event? Our hearts broke yet another time for punishing you.

Wednesday, you had forgotten your diary at home today. your Madam has sent a note that you waste time sharpening pencils. She has asked me to sharpen them and send them with you. Humph...yet another task to my already overflowing bucket. When will you start taking some responsibility for these small tasks?
Today night, yet again another tantrum - you wanted me to make a corn cup for you. Despite headache and tiredness, I prepared the corn. You did not eat your dinner properly. But did finish the Corp Cup.

Understand that I do all these things because I love you dearly and want you to be happy. I don't want you to think I love only Aditi and not you. There are so many different ways I show my love for you - except that you are not "seeing" it.

Thursday, despite several requests from your appa, you dilly-dallied. You missed your school bus today and we were adamant about NOT dropping you to school today in our car - as we used to do each time there was a delay. We have left you be at home deliberately. I hope this will be a lesson that you will never forget - things will NEVER wait for you - may be once or twice - but never more. So, please learn this lesson and learn well.

Friday, I am hoping tomorrow will be a better day - where you will do everything by yourself, be a good boy, not cry, take your medicines without fuss, eat your breakfast. Please be a nice boy - please understand we are working very hard in order to give you and Aditi a bright future.

With lots of love and hugs,

Yours lovingly,
Amma

6 comments:

  1. Vidya, whats this..you're back to blogspot!?! Welcome back .. haha..

    I'm sure 6 must be a difficult age.. Poor kid. Don't know what else to say except keep cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Lostworld,

    I came back to blogspot because I found this place tooooooooo COZY :p
    The same feeling of waking up early in the morning in your cozy bed wrapped in your favorite quilt :D

    Somehow, I feel at home here...than on wordpress... may be because wordpress gives too many options and I got lost amidst all of them :p

    Yes, 6 is a difficult age...but then once he gets into his teens, I am sure all hell will break loose at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Lostworld,

    LoL that you commented "poor kid" - no empathy for this "poor kid"'s mom? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha.. Ofcos poor mom also Vidya. I felt a little bad for kiddo thanks to all the times he kept crying! I hope both of you get along fine & enjoy every phase :)

    Agree with blogspot being too comfortable. I think its easy to use too. Haven't tried WP for too long. Heard it offers various options though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey r u bk to blogspot or r u posting on both ur blogs??

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmphh.... I'm sure Calvin's Mom would've also written one such letter to him :)

    ReplyDelete