Friday, August 7, 2009

Music and Me

People love to ask embarassing questions whenever possible and that too in public. And one of my FIL's friend's wife belongs to this category.

We met the old folks this week end. For the nth time, Va aunty asks me "You also have learnt sangeeta (music), right?". (Me and singing.... If I were Tansen, it would rain frogs ... uh... !!!)

I immediately said "Aunty, I do not know Sa of Sangeeta".

She was looking at me in disbelief and yet continued "You must be joking".

I said in a voice that reflected my feelings (gritting my teeth, angry and flustered) "No, I am not joking. I really do not know Sa of Sangeeta".

Indu Aunty must have sensed my discomfort. Immediately she said to Va Aunty "Avalu chennagi oodhi olle kelasadalli iddalle.. Namma tarah odade manenalli koothilla bidri.. Tumba intelligent avalu" (Roughly translates to "She has studied well and is a working woman. Not a house wife like us. She is very intelligent")

I looked at Indu aunty with tremendous gratitude for saving me from Va Aunty... Phew...

Truly, I do never know how to handle situations like this... Any Tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment