Monday, August 24, 2009

Hyderabad Blues - 2

We used to frequent the Koti Market. I used to like it for its humdrum and colorful stone bangles and lot of wares that the vendors used to sell. One saturday evening, my mother, sister, cousin and I visited koti. I asked my mother to buy me something (at present, i do not quite remember what I asked her for). She categorically refused.

I was so angry that I unclutched my hand from her grasp and wandered off. The thought in my head was "Let me get lost and let her search for me. That should teach her a lesson for not buying that for me". And so thinking, I truly wandered off.

Half hour later, I could not spot my mom, sis or cousin. Panic started gripping me. I started crying. This burly 6 ft tall guy saw me and asked what happened. I told him that I was lost. He asked me for my whereabouts. I told him and he consoled saying he was off in the same direction and would drop me to my house. I did not want to trust this guy as he looked very mean. But I did not have a choice but to go with him as I had no money with me and no brains, anyways.

That man said "please wait here, I want to buy something and then we can be on our way. I will drop you home". I was truly scared by this time and was hoping to spot my family members. While he was buying something, my eyes desperately started searching for my family. Luckily, i saw my mom searching for me very frantically. I immediately shouted for her and ran to her.

The man came following me and asked "Are you sure this is your mom?". I said "yes and explained to my mother that this guy had offerred to drop me home". She mumbled her thanks and took me firmly by my hand and took me aside. She cried a lot that day - a mixture of anger, anguish and relief.

She went on to explain "V, do you really know whether that man would have dropped you home? What would have happened if he had sold you off to some lady who runs a brothel or made you beg alms? How sure are you that any man you meet and offers help is a good one? Your today's behaviour is just not acceptable. I hope you have learnt a lesson and will not repeat it".

I was truly humbled that day. At that instance, I realized what I a mess I had got myself into... and true to my promise, I never repeated it again.

Even today, I keep wondering what would have happened if I had not spotted my mother that day. Would that man have dropped me home? Or what would have become of me? Any news where they report missing girls or girls in brothel, girls begging alms, working as house maids... brings this incident to my mind and I feel goosebumps all over my body....

1 comment: