Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Heartless in Bangalore?

Day in and Day out, I read numerous accident reports in the newspaper. Each article, there definitely is a mention of how people seldom help the accident victims and the need to change the mindset.

There has been tons of accounts when I have empathised with the victim(s) and have really cursed the spectators for not rushing to their aid.

And then, yesterday, I did the unthinkable !!!

I was driving back home from work. Enroute, I take a short cut to reach the main road. As I took this turn, I saw a middle aged person trying to climb on to his scooter. In the process, he fell down and the scooter fell on him.

I was the first one to see him. I hesitated for 1 minute on whether I should park my car and help this gentleman or drive-off. And to my horror, I just drove off. It took me 1 whole minute to realize what I had actually done.

I don't really have an answer to why I did not help this person. I could have helped him. Have I become so heartless?

3 comments:

  1. :( May be u saw a few more people arriving to help him and hence drove off ?

    Well Vidya, it some cases (might nt be this one but in case of vehicle clashes or a vehicle hitting a passerby), I think ppl here are more scared abt how the will hv to face the police n stuff and so the brain overrides the heart. Law is nt stringent enuf n people who have to safeguard the law r on the lookout for bali ka bhakras to solidify the case .. i think which is very sad but any person wud be worried abt himself more obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Swaram, What you say is true.. but sadly no other passer by came to help this person...I guess everyone was equally skeptical...I am really very ashamed of my behavior :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chill Vidya...whats over is over..next time stop by..thats all!

    ReplyDelete