Monday, July 20, 2009

Incident at the Beauty Parlor

I go to the beauty parlor once a fortnight, mostly to get my eye brows trimmed. Very rarely for pedicure or any beauty treatments. This is mostly because time is luxury for me and I get only week ends to get my eye brows trimmed. And most week ends, we have one or the other occasion to attend or visits by relatives.
So, amidst all this, creating those 10 minutes for an eye brow trim is truly luxury to me.

The parlor that I regularize is run by 3 girls. I have always seen them with awe. They work very hard and I have been proud of the fact that they are standing on their feet and are independent.

So, a fortnight back when I went there (at 6 p.m.) for my regular eye brow trim, I was shocked to hear one of them talk to me rudely "Its closing time now. We cannot do your eyebrows."

Although taken aback, I told them firmly "Look, I have been trying to come here since 2 p.m. However, today being a Sunday, I have been having lot of visitors at home, back to back. So, this is the time I could really get and hence you have to do it".

Grudgingly she accepted and trimmed my eye brows. On my way back, I realized that this parlor did not have any board that mentioned the work timings. Mentally making a note of this to give them a feedback next fortnight, i went home.

Yesterday, I again went there. This time at 4 p.m. just so they don't get angry with me for landing there at closing time. Again, I was in for a rude shock.

The instant I sat down on the chair, one of the 3 girls asked me what I wanted. I said "Eye brows". To this, she said very rudely "We will not do it today. There are people waiting for facial and pedicure and manicure. You come tomorrow".

I told her humbly "I need to go to work tomorrow". She did not respond. Just looked the other way.

And I was angry - i simply walked out and told myself "Today, you guys have lost a customer".

I truly do not know what I have done to arouse such a reaction from them. Or was it the fact that their investment of 10 minutes would reap only Rs. 15 income while the same time invested on a facial would bring them Rs. 500?

I am too pained at this moment to conclude.

3 comments:

  1. By any chance is this parlour in koramangala..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes Vidya ... I hv seen this happen @ a lot of places .. as though eyebrows is a small task n they want to impress the customers who r getting BIGGER things done rather paying them big money. Its ridiculous :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ AM, this parlor is in Basaveshwaranagar. But I guess like Swaram mentioned... it is the same across all parlors ... they dont want to take up smaller tasks that gives them less money

    @ Swaram,
    Yes, I agree with you... looks like this is a venture capitalist idea - fund series of next door beauty parlors that perform only smaller tasks - cutting and polishing nails, trimming eyebrows, painting nails etc... Make it Quick Check-in and Quick Check-out :P

    ReplyDelete